Throughout last year we regularly released BlackBerry® Device Software (a.k.a. Firmware or OS) updates, including a major one back in the fall. But it seems that actually getting these updates onto your device is still a bit of a mystery to some people. Well, it’s simpler than you think, and well worth it. Here are a couple reasons why:
- Your smartphone will work even better than it does today (bug fixes)
- With major updates you get plenty new features – like video recording in version 4.5 software for BlackBerry® Curve™ smartphone (feel free to check out the complete list of new features available in 4.5 software update)
Step 1 – Check for updates: If you’re on a company smartphone, your IT department may already have plans for getting your device software up-to-date. If you’d like to take the initiative into your own hands, make sure to get the nod of approval from your IT department, and skip to Step 3 below. Otherwise, read on.
- Start BlackBerry Desktop Software
- Connect your device and you’ll be prompted to update if there’s an update available
If you don’t have the latest version of Desktop Software installed – no worries.
- Visit http://www.blackberry.com/updates
- Click on the “Check for Updates” button (you can’t miss it)
- You’ll be prompted to download and install a small application (click Run twice) and in the end, you should see something that looks like the screenshot on the right
- Connect your device, enter the password (if you have one) and click OK
- That’s it. We will now automatically check and let you know if there are any updates available
Step 2 – Updating: You should now see the “Update Summary” screen.
Tip: even though it may seem like an advanced setting, click the “Options” button to tweak your update, and clear any languages you do not plan on using. This can save lots of space you can use later for installing apps, games, etc…
Click “Next” and sign up for notifications. Next time a new update is available we’ll send you an email – you’ll never have to check manually for updates again. After you’re done, it’s just a matter of clicking “Finish” in the summary screen.
A couple notes:
- The overall process may take some time (40-60 minutes – depending on the size of the backup) – no worries, it’s normal
- Do not disconnect your device until the update is complete!
- All your data, settings and applications are backed up, and then restored at the end (unless you explicitly choose not to do so)
Congratulations! You have successfully updated your smartphone and it should now be running the latest available Device Software.
Step 3 – Not really a step
If you skipped here because you’re on a company smartphone or, because in Step 1:
- You got a message stating that your “BlackBerry smartphone is activated on a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server or BlackBerry® Professional Software” or;
- It appeared as if no updates were available for your smartphone, but you’re confident there should be one available, here is what you can do:
- If you haven’t done so already, download and install the latest Desktop Software
- Check online if there is an update available for your device from your service provider and download the new Device Software installer
- Run the Device Software installer
- Make sure you’re connected to your corporate network (to continue receiving work email after the update is complete)
- Follow Steps 1 and 2