In my previous BlackBerry® Theme Studio post, I explained the main features and tools of new version 5.0. Now that you have this information under your belt, the process for creating a BlackBerry theme is pretty easy. I suggest you download BlackBerry Theme Studio v5.0 and have the software open as you read along. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Make your theme assets.
Design your icons, backgrounds and other theme images in your favorite design tool – Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro, BlackBerry® Composer etc.
For fun, I’ve designed a new background image for my theme:
Step 2: Import your assets into the right spot in Theme Builder.
For example, suppose I want to change the background on my Home Screen to this space background. I will:
- Jump into Theme Builder.
- Click the Home Screen button in the Inspector.
- Click the Background button.
- Add the background I want. Theme Builder can accept JPEGs, BMP, GIF, PNG and(new in this release!) Photoshop files.
- The new Background is added to my theme.
Customizing your theme icons, highlights and backgrounds throughout works pretty much the same way. Design the graphic, bring it in and Theme Builder puts it in the right spot.
Step 3: Put your theme on a BlackBerry® smartphone.
Once you have the Theme looking the way that you want, it’s time to put it on a real BlackBerry smartphone:
- Click File -> Export. This pops up the export dialog.
- Select Install To BlackBerry.
- Enter a Theme Name and your BlackBerry password.
- Plug in your BlackBerry smartphone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Click OK.
- BlackBerry Theme Studio packages up your theme into a format that the BlackBerry smartphone can read.
- You’ll be asked to “Activate” your new theme on your BlackBerry smartphone, which means that you’re making it the default theme on your BlackBerry. Click YES
And the theme is up and running!
In future posts, we’ll introduce a series of tips and tricks to aid your BlackBerry theme creation. For now, post a comment below of what type of BlackBerry theme you’d like to make and what you think of the new BlackBerry Theme Studio v5.0.