It’s hard to believe that July is already upon us. With a new month comes a new reigning BlackBerry® Fan of the Month! I am ecstatic to announce Kimberly as July’s BlackBerry Fan of the Month. Kimberly — @kmcooley on Twitter® — has been a model BlackBerry advocate. She has been helping, engaging and even building the #TeamBlackBerry community on an ongoing basis. Kimberly has put a lot of effort, passion and energy into #TeamBlackBerry, and it shows with all her tweets and comments.
I was looking forward to interviewing Kimberly, because over my two years as a community manager, I’ve seen her day-in day-out engagement – whether it be with her friends, fans, colleagues, or our BlackBerry community managers and customers. As soon as our interview began, I immediately noticed that the passion and energy she puts in her tweets extends far beyond her online persona.
Calling Kimberly a heavy BlackBerry smartphone user would be an understatement. Throughout the conversation she told me stories about how she would always have her BlackBerry handy — from using it to save a conference call during an electrical blackout to how she converted her co-workers to #TeamBlackBerry, and more fun stories below.
So Team BlackBerry, please congratulate Kimberly as our BlackBerry Fan of The Month for July and check out our interview below to learn all the awesome work she has done.
1. How many years have you been on Team BlackBerry?
10 years. I started out with the BlackBerry® 7250 smartphone.
2. How many BlackBerry devices have you had in total? Could you list them all out for us?
I’ve had the following smartphones: BlackBerry 7250, BlackBerry® 8703e, BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330, BlackBerry® 8830, BlackBerry® Tour™ 9630, BlackBerry® Bold™ 9650, BlackBerry® Bold 9930, and my BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet, of course.
My dream device would be the internal components of the BlackBerry Bold 9930 smartphone built inside the shell of the BlackBerry 8703 smartphone. It [the BlackBerry 8703 smartphone] was just a really solid-feeling device. For whatever reason, it is my all-time favorite.
3. How many BBM™ contacts do you have?
Right now, I have around 28.
4. What is your favorite BBM emoticon?
Can’t Wait – the one with the hand over the eyes. I’m usually shaking my head when I use that one.
5. Tell us about the best BBM you’ve ever received. What did it say and who was it from?
It’s hard to pinpoint just one BBM! It’s one of those situations that if I don’t mention something, I’ll get in trouble from friends and family. One memory that stands out was during Father’s Day weekend. My best friend sent this one that morning. Long story short, my dad died when I was 15, and 16 years later, Father’s Day is still difficult for me because he and I were just that close. So Rox sending me this message made a huge difference in my day:
6. If you could BBM your BlackBerry smartphone, what would you say? What do you think your BlackBerry would say in response?
I would say, very sarcastically, “Do I have to?” and my BlackBerry would respond with, “Yes, you can do it!”
This would be in response to the high volume of emails I receive.
7. What is your favorite BlackBerry app?
My favorite app right now is called SocialScope. I love the horizontal scrolling through all of my Twitter lists. It’s very quick and efficient.
8. We know you work in education. How does your BlackBerry smartphone help you get the job done?
Lots of ways, but email would be at the very top of the list. I can multi-task with my BlackBerry smartphone and it helps me keep my head above water.
Once a power line was down on campus and internet went out, but with BlackBerry® Bridge™, I had Internet access! It was like everyone else was sitting around twiddling their thumbs.
One day the university president was on a conference call and the phone system went down a few minutes into the call. At that point of my career, I was in IT and my first thought was to whip out my BlackBerry 8830 smartphone, put it on the table and get everyone back into the conference. I was pretty proud of that.
9. We think it’s awesome that you are always encouraging friends, family members and fellow Twitter users to get BlackBerry devices. How many people have joined Team BlackBerry as a result of your advice?
If I look back on the last four or five years, I’d say at least 100.
10. You use the #BeBold hashtag a good bit on Twitter. (And we love it!) Could you share a personal Be Bold story with us?
I attended a higher education web conference last year right after the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet came out. They were showing Google Analytics and my BlackBerry PlayBook tablet was the only device in the room that could actually render the site.
11. We see you chatting with Team BlackBerry all the time on Twitter. Would you like to give any of your buddies a shout out here?
Yes! Don (@BlkScorp33) is one of my very best friends.
12. You refer to yourself as a “BlackBerry Expert” – what is one thing you think every BlackBerry user should know?
The “end” key – it’s not just to end a phone call. It can also take you step by step back to where you want to go.
13. Do you have an all-time favorite BlackBerry memory? We’d love to hear it!
About two Christmases ago, I looked around the table and realized that everyone had a BlackBerry device. It was an awesome moment.
14. Last, but not least: Are you prepared to handle the fame that comes with being our Fan of the Month?
Yes, of course! We’re #TeamBlackBerry, fame is nothing new to us.
Now, in case you have missed our other awesome past members of the BlackBerry Fan of the Month club, you can check ‘em out here: