August is upon us, #TeamBlackBerry, and with July in the rear view, it’s time to once again introduce you to a new BlackBerry® Fan of the Month (FOTM). If you frequent our various Twitter® properties or have tweeted about your BlackBerry smartphone, you may have come across our FOTM for August. As with fans past, this person is always eager to offer up invaluable tips, tricks, and a helping hand to our dedicated following of fans online — all out of kindness. Needless to say, our crew of FOTMs is making the world a better place one tweet at a time, and we THANK YOU.
For August, we’re pleased to introduce you to someone who loves staying on top of all things tech and mobile. He’s picked up his own set of tips and tricks over the years and is always keen to share them with others. We’ve come to learn that when he doesn’t have his BlackBerry smartphone in hand, he’s either playing video games or out hiking. You may have already guessed — but without further ado, we’d like to introduce August Fan of the Month Mike (@Flash0p).
1. How many years have you been on Team BlackBerry?
About 5-6 years.
2. How many BlackBerry devices have you had in total?
I’ve had about 6 or 7 devices in total. The BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330 smartphone was my favorite model. I was pretty rough on it, but it was so durable -– it got beat up and just kept going! I currently have the BlackBerry® Bold™ 9930 smartphone and the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet.
3. How many BlackBerry® Messenger (BBM™) contacts do you have?
I have 64 BBM contacts. They’re all dedicated fans just like me and I enjoy talking to them. At one point, I had 130 BBM contacts. It was hard to keep track of them all, so I’ve brought it down over the years.
4. What is your favorite BBM emoticon?
The basic smiley, because I use it so much.
5. If you could BBM your BlackBerry, what would you say? What would your BlackBerry say in response?
I would say, “Thank you for entertaining me. Thank you for remembering the things I forget.” And it would say, “My pleasure.”
6. What is your favorite BlackBerry app?
On my phone, it would be BeBuzz. I have all the different colors of LED lights. My phone can be completely silent and I’ll know who the call is from and how important it is.
For the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, it would be Blaq, the Twitter app. It has a great interface and shows the power of the OS on the PlayBook.
7. You are always helping Team BlackBerry with their questions on Twitter. (We think that’s pretty awesome, btw.) Is there a time when you helped a fellow BlackBerry user that really sticks out in your mind?
I have a terrible memory, so I’ll just talk about the most recent time. I was talking to someone the other day that had done something that rendered their BlackBerry smartphone unusable, was off their warranty, and didn’t know how to fix it. I was able to talk them through the recovery process so they could get their BlackBerry up and running again.
8. Do you have a favorite BlackBerry tip you like to share with fellow users?
I love the shortcut that allows you to use the Space key for page down. It makes it a lot easier to scroll and it works almost everywhere, including third party apps. People tend to forget that one, so I like to remind them of it.
9. Would you like to say hello to your best BlackBerry bud?
@DJGhettoRedneck. I’ve been friends with him for a while. He’s another huge fan of BlackBerry and he’s so generous. Sometimes he’ll even buy apps for other users. We have a BBM group and we just chit chat about day-to-day stuff. There are about 13 people in the group. Some of us are in different time zones. We share apps, remind each other of features and share news articles.
10. In your Twitter bio, you say you love what you do. How does your BlackBerry help you love what you do even more?
I work in the cellphone industry and my BlackBerry smartphone helps me stay organized at work. It helps me stay on task and keep productive. I can go all work day without plugging it into the wall.
11. Do you have an all-time favorite BlackBerry memory? Please share!
Whenever I get anyone to say, “Wow! I had no idea BlackBerry could do that!” That always makes my day.
12. Are you prepared to handle the fame that comes with being our Fan of the Month?
I sure hope so!
13. Any final words of wisdom for Team BlackBerry?
The night is darkest just before the dawn. With BlackBerry® 10 right around the corner, I know our good days are coming!
Be sure to check out the other awesome past members of the BlackBerry Fan of the Month club, in case you missed ‘em: