Phew! I don’t know about the rest of you, but September flew by for us here at RIM ®. Between back-to-school and BlackBerry ® Jam Americas, I barely had time to breathe. I did, however, have a chance to catch up with our October BlackBerry Fan of the Month (FOTM), and I am very excited to hand the crown over to yet another treasured member of #TeamBlackBerry.
Our October FOTM is a true BlackBerry ® wiz – he was proud to tell me that he reads BlackBerry Knowledge Base articles in his spare time! He’s active on our BlackBerry Twitter®, Facebook® and Google+ pages, and eager to help other members of #TeamBlackBerry with their BlackBerry smartphones and BlackBerry ® PlayBook ™ tablets. One solution at a time, this “BlackBerry King” is truly is making the world a better place for BlackBerry users far and wide. So without further ado, I’m pleased to introduce you to our October FOTM, Guido (@FuriousGuido)! Read on to learn more about Guido and what makes him passionate about #TeamBlackBerry. (SPOILER ALERT: there’s a love story revealed in the interview!)
1. How many years have you been on Team BlackBerry?
Since 2007. My first device was a BlackBerry® Curve™ 8320. I needed to organize calendars and memos and meetings and I needed a device to make my life easier. I saw the BlackBerry Curve and it was love at first sight. That’s how it all started.
2. How many BlackBerry devices have you had in total? Could you list them all out for us?
Oh yeah, first I had the BlackBerry Curve 8320. Then I got the BlackBerry Curve 8520 and the BlackBerry Curve 9300. Then I switched to the BlackBerry ® Bold ™ 9700, but I needed a little more power so I got the BlackBerry Bold 9780. Then I wanted to try something different so I went with the BlackBerry ® Torch ™ 9800. Then I got the BlackBerry Curve 9360, the BlackBerry Bold 9790 and the BlackBerry Torch 9810. And then I fell in love with the BlackBerry Bold 9900. I don’t go anywhere without it. I’m head over heels about it. I always tell strangers how it works – on the bus, anywhere. I also have a BlackBerry ® PlayBook ™ tablet. I like to show people how BlackBerry Bridge works with it and my BlackBerry Bold 9900.
3. What are your favorite BlackBerry applications?
The top would be Twitter for BlackBerry and Facebook. Regarding utilities, hands down, it’s File Manager Pro v18.104.22.168. I also use MOLOME, WhatsApp, Screen Muncher Pro, RepliGo Reader, Jingu Smileys Premium, Jingu Text Premium, Contacts Cleaner, EasyDialer and many others.
4. How many BlackBerry Messenger (BBM™) contacts do you have?
Oh lordy, I have 180 contacts. It’s impossible to keep track of everyone, but I speak with about 10 of them every day. With the amazing keyboard on my BlackBerry Bold, I don’t have a problem talking to them all at once. Whenever there’s a Beta release, my phone lights up like a Christmas tree.
5. What is your favorite BBM emoticon?
It would have to be the Big Hug.
6. Tell us about the best BBM you’ve ever received. What did it say and who was it from?
My best friend, Raf. He sent me a BBM one day that said, “Meet me at the coffee shop.” When I got there, he had a gift for me. He had company with him. He somehow ended up finding my first true love. He had looked all over the world for her and found her. I was shocked to say the least. It was the best BBM ever.
7. If you could BBM your BlackBerry, what would you say? What do you think your BlackBerry would say in response?
I would say, “Goooood morning!” And my BlackBerry Bold would respond with a happy smiley face.
8. You’re always helping Team BlackBerry on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Is there a particular instance of helping a fellow BlackBerry user that really sticks out in your mind? We’d love to hear about it.
t would have to be Sunny (@sachmalh). Sunny’s a great guy. He was experiencing issues and he had no idea what to do or who to contact. I gave him my BlackBerry PIN and I ended up getting everything back up and running for him using BlackBerry Protect.
9. Do you have a favorite BlackBerry tip, trick or shortcut?
I use LT and LD a lot. You press LT on your BlackBerry keyboard and the time shows up. Type in LD and the date shows up. I also love ALT+Right Shift+Delete (the soft reboot) and typing “mypin” to make my PIN automatically display. I retweet the tips from @BlackBerryHelp all the time. I think it’s good for people to get a refresher.
10. You have the word “furious” in your Twitter handle, but you don’t seem furious at all. We have to ask: What was your inspiration behind the name?
I fell in love with The Fast and the Furious films back in 2001. Back then I was driving a 1986 MR2. I had it all done up and when the movie came out, the name just stuck.
11. Your Twitter profile says you’re a “social media adventurer” – tell us, what has been your best adventure so far? What new adventures do you have in store and how will your BlackBerry help you along the way?
I’m always active on Twitter and Facebook with my BlackBerry Bold 9900. I’m also trying to set up my own webpage (http://furiousguido.tumblr.com/). I want to use it to help people who have issues with their BlackBerry devices.
12. We know you have a ton of Team BlackBerry buddies. Would you like to give any of them a shout out here? Now’s your chance!
First of all I’d like to thank my family: Mom Sidia, brother Carlo, & sister Sonya.
Here’s my well-deserved shout-out: @Jawv77, @ToraxCefiro, @Inlove_BB, @digitalhomeboy, @sheldonbk, @joyhacker, @nerdologist_jon, @FortNeyland95, @Flash0p, @AllBBAllthetime, @mobstermdesign, @Jew4BlackBerry, @kmcooley, @BoLdWoMaN2012, @NikiDussault, @Zukka75, @RallsInNC, @BBOSGhostryder, @MRizkBerryEG, @Dan1shMemon, @bricenm, @FaisalMohamedA, @ElingerBello, @jimz22, @vecharo, @luigigosc, @rapidjohn, @mikelcal, @badtoyz, @sarahtingle, @AZ_JOHNNY & @RallsInNC.
I would also like to give a shout-out to Joe and his team at @BlackBerryOS, and a big thanx to John and Mike of RapidBerry.net, for the opportunity to be with #TeamRapid.
I would like to let everyone know that I have not forgotten you and you know where to go when you need help with your BlackBerry device!
13. What do you do in your spare time? You know, when you’re not being a Team BlackBerry all-star.
I build computers. I build them, I repair them, I custom build them. I love what I do. I help people and if they’re happy, I’m happy.
14. Since you’re so in-the-know, we’re sure you’ve seen some of our sneak peeks of BlackBerry 10. Tell us, what are you most excited for?
I talk to people every day about it. I actually have a Dev Alpha device and I love everything about it – it’s powerful, smooth and stable. I can’t wait to get a BlackBerry 10 device when it comes out! I’m really looking forward to it. It has major potential.
15. Last but not least, are you prepared to handle the fame that comes with being our Fan of the Month?
Absolutely, absolutely! The fact that you even picked me, I’m beyond honored.
Be sure to check out the other awesome past members of the BlackBerry Fan of the Month club, in case you missed ‘em:
January – Brian (@newshutr)
February – Ivan (@IvanSHarris)
March – Jane (@photosfromabb)
April – Josh (@BBbrodyBB)
May - Mark (@AllAboutMyBB)
June – JT (@AgentBlackBerry)
July – Kimberly (@kmcooley)
August – Mike (@flash0p)
September – Jon (@nerdologist_jon)