If you have a BlackBerry 10 smartphone and would love to use it to watch the latest movies and TV shows available online, the PlayOn app and media server* are built just for you. With a few simple steps, you can now access and watch Hulu, Netflix, HBO GO, and more videos on your BlackBerry 10 device. If you’ve already downloaded the app from BlackBerry World, you’ll already know that there are two components required to get the PlayOn App to stream videos to your phone:
- The PlayOn software for Windows PC
- The PlayOn app for BlackBerry 10
With some computer savvy and a little setup, you’ll be enjoying your favorite videos on your BlackBerry 10 smartphone in no time. I’ll explain the easy steps required in this blog post. If you’re already convinced that you must have PlayOn, skip to the setup instructions below. If you want to know more about PlayOn, stick with me a little longer . . . it’s great!
As I mentioned above, PlayOn lets you stream online videos for viewing on your living room TV or mobile device. The app allows BlackBerry 10 customers in the United States and Canada** to watch content from Hulu, or their existing Netflix and HBO GO accounts, along with 60 additional online channels, right on their phone. You can easily browse and watch your favorite shows and films over WiFi, 3G or 4G LTE***. This includes your favorite TV shows, movies and sports from Hulu, Netflix, ESPN, CNN, CBS, Amazon VOD, HBO GO, YouTube and so much more.
Here’s how it works:
- PlayOn’s online software is installed on a Windows PC where it browses content from various online providers like Netflix and Hulu and online channels like ABC, NBC, CBS and Comedy Central, and then displays that content directly on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone through the PlayOn app.
- BlackBerry 10 smartphone customers can browse and watch movies, TV shows, and more on their phone at home or on the go over a Wi-Fi®, 4G, or 3G connection.
- In order to use PlayOn on your BlackBerry (Version 10.1.0 or above is required), you’ll need to have PlayOn installed and running on both your PC and smartphone. The app is available as a free download from the BlackBerry World store.
So, if you want to access the full PlayOn library or your own personal media anytime, anywhere you’re connected on your BlackBerry 10 smartphone, follow the simple instructions below:
First: Set up PlayOn on your PC:
- Visit www.playon.tv (exact promo page link TBC)
- Redeem your unique promotional code to download your discounted PlayOn Annual PC license
- Launch PlayOn from the Start Menu or open PlayOn by double-clicking on the PlayOn icon in your task tray.
- Next, in order to enable the use of PlayOn with your BlackBerry 10 device, click on the Mobile Access tab and check Enable Mobile Access.
- Start the PlayOn media server by clicking on the Start button under the General tab if you have not already done so.
Next: Set up the PlayOn app on your BlackBerry 10 device:
- Download the PlayOn Mobile app from BlackBerry World here: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/30302887
- While PlayOn is running on your PC, open the app on your device. Make sure that you are connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your PC.
- Next, you must pair your device with your PC. On the first screen of the app, you should see your copy of PlayOn listed — it will have the same name as your PC. Select your PC and a menu of PlayOn channels will appear. Now that your device is paired with your PlayOn PC, you should now be able to watch PlayOn anywhere, either over Wi-Fi or 3G, 4G LTE.
* Fees apply to license and install the PlayOn media server on your Windows PC. See details here.
** Not all listed content available in Canada
*** Active data plan required, please see your wireless carrier for details