Written by Brent Thornton and originally published on BlackBerry Developer Blog
Hello readers and fellow Uber lovers,
I have been asked by a few customers in the last couple of months how to use Uber on BlackBerry 10. I figured the interest and complexity warranted a blog post…
(Also read our COO Marty Beard’s advice on other sources of apps for your BB10 device).
Once upon a time you could make use of the APK in the Android Runtime on BB10. Unfortunately, this doesn’t work any longer due to the use of Google Play Services.
Fear not, there is still hope:
With a little bit of effort and patience we can Uber working in the Browser. Follow these steps to sign in to http://m.uber.com . Note the “m”. If you visit uber.com you are taken to a listing of trips once you sign in – that’s not what we are after here. We want to see little cars on a map.
- Visit to submit a request to use m.uber.com
- If the above URL doesn’t work: Go to uber.com/support
- Search for “request access to m.uber.com”
- Sign in
- Click submit
- Wait for confirmation email (this took about 8-10 hours for me)
- Visit m.uber.com and sign in.
- If you do NOT see the sign in boxes see Appendix below
Side note: Please Uber, make this EASIER.
But I want it on my Home Screen:
No Problem, once you are signed in click on the browser menu in the bottom right corner of the screen and select Add to Home Screen.
Appendix – I have been whitelisted but when I visit m.uber.com I don’t see any fields to login with.
There is a weird cookie issue happening here. I have submitted a ticket with Uber. To fix it you just need to do the following:
- Open the menu in the browser and go to settings
- Go to Privacy and Security
- Clear Cookies and Other Data
- Go back to m.uber.com and login will appear.
I hope this helps everyone out there looking to use Uber on BB10 like myself!
If you have any questions or want to reach out on another topic please tweet me @brentthornton32