Are you using a Windows Phone? If so you can download BBM and connect with your friends and family around the world for free.
To help you get started here are a few things you’ll want to know!
Step 1 – Make sure BBM supports your device
In order to install BBM you’ll need to be using Windows Phone 8.0 or later.
To see what version of Windows Phone you are using, complete the following steps.
- On Start, swipe left to the Application list
- Tap Settings > About > More Info
- Look for the Software field and verify it says Windows Phone 8.0 or later
Step 2 – Download and install BBM for Windows Phone
Using your Windows Phone click here to be taken to the Windows Phone store where you can download BBM.
Step 3 – Sign into BBM using a BlackBerry ID
In order to use BBM, you’ll need a BBID (BlackBerry ID). Simply put, a BBID is an account that serves as your login to BBM on Windows Phone. What’s really convenient is that your BBM contact list and other BBM details are linked to your BBID. With your contact list linked to your BBID, you no longer have to manually backup and restore your BBM contact list when you switch devices.If you don’t have your device on you right now you can still create a BlackBerry ID by visiting http://bbid.com.
Don’t forget to confirm your email address as well otherwise you will run into trouble if you forget your password and try to reset it. To do this complete the following steps.
- Tap > settings > general
- Tap your BlackBerry ID and sign in when prompted
- Beside the Email Status field, tap Confirm my email
- In the BlackBerry ID email that you receive, click the confirm email link and follow the instructions.
In the event you do forget your BlackBerry ID password, check out the following KB articles.
- KB34776 – Resetting the BlackBerry ID password using the password recovery question for BBM for Windows Phone
- KB35103 – How to reset the BlackBerry ID account on BBM for Windows Phone if the Password Recovery Answer is unknown
Finally, for those that used BBM on a BlackBerry smartphone in the past, you may be able to restore your contacts provided your BBID was associated with a BlackBerry smartphone running BBM 7.0 or later. If this applies to you, when you log in to BBM using that BBID, you will be prompted to restore your contacts
Step 4 – BBM tips!
To make sure you get the most out of BBM here are a few things you’ll want to know.
What is a BBM PIN and how can I find mine?
A PIN is a unique identifier used in BBM that is automatically generated when you log in to BBM for the first time. If you want to invite someone to be a BBM contact, give them your PIN, or ask for theirs. It’s a neat way to connect with people without having to give them personal information like your email address or phone number. You can also add a new contact on BBM by showing them your PIN Barcode (this looks like a QR code), rather than having to type out the PIN number. After your friend scans your PIN Barcode, you’ll be added to each other’s contact lists. Again, no personal information is exchanged, just your unique PINs.
To find your BBM PIN, tap your BBM picture. To view your barcode, tap on your BBM picture followed by tapping barcode along the bottom toolbar.
How do I change my BBM name, status or picture?
After signing in to BBM, tap your picture or name along the top banner and do any of the following:
To change your BBM display name andor status:
- Tap your display name or picture
- Enter your new display name
- In the What’s on your mind? field, type a status.
- To save your changes, tap
To change your BBM picture:
- Tap on your display name or picture
- Tap your current picture and choose one of the following options:
- Take a photo
- Sample Pictures
- To save your changes, tap
To change and save a custom status:
- Tap on your BBM display name followed by tapping Edit Status Message
- Tap and type a status that you want to save and use again
- To show the busy icon beside your name when you select the status, turn on the Show busy icon switch
- Tap your custom status to use it as your status
To edit or delete a status that you created, repeat step 1 and touch and hold the status
How can I invite my friends to join BBM?
You can add contacts to BBM by scanning a BBM barcode, typing a BBM PIN, or by selecting a contact on your device and sending them an invite via email or text.
- On the contacts screen, tap add contact > invite
- Tap one of the following:
- Invite by Email
- Invite by SMS
- Invite by PIN
- Invite by Barcode Scan
- Follow the on screen instructions
To view your BBM contacts or pending invitations, on the contacts screen, tap and scroll to the sent or received screen.
What do the various icons mean?
During a chat, the next to a message indicates that your message has been sent. After the message is delivered to your contact’s phone the check mark changes to . For example, if you message someone and their device isn’t turned on, your messages will show a check mark until your contact turns on their device again. When your contact reads the message, appears next to the message.
Some of the other icons you’ll see include:
- Unread message in a chat
- Ping message
- File has been sent or received
- Unread broadcast message
- A contact has set their status to busy
- Draft message
- You message hasn’t been sent yet (Tip: Verify your device is connected to the Internet)
What sounds can I set for BBM?
BBM uses the current sound settings for your device. You can change the volume to adjust how loud the classic BBM tone plays. To customize your notifications tap > settings > notifications.
How do I back up my BBM contacts?
When you sign in to BBM on Windows Phone using a BlackBerry ID, your contacts will be backed up automatically. If you log into a different device using the same BlackBerry ID, you’ll be prompted to restore your contact list.
Can I use BBM on multiple devices at the same time?
BBM supports one device at a time, so avoid installing BBM onto other devices and signing in using the same BBID. If you would like to use BBM on multiple devices, consider creating an additional BlackBerry ID with a separate email address.
Step 5 – Spread the word and get assistance
After getting BBM set up on your device, make sure you check out the invite tools we’ve provided at http://bbm.com/share, or simply share the link http://bbm.com and encourage your friends to install BBM
In the event you have a question about BBM for Windows Phone, pop by the BlackBerry Support Community Forums or send a tweet to @BlackBerryHelp or @BBM.
To learn more make sure you check out the BBM for Windows Phone user guide as well!
Got a question? Leave a comment and let me know!