BlackBerry Prevents: Magniber Ransomware
Threat actors have recently been executing ransomware attacks that exploit the latest vulnerabilities in the Windows® Print Spooler (CVE-2021-34527). The exploit takes advantage of a class of vulnerabilities commonly known as “PrintNightmare.” One malware family that has been actively leveraging these attacks is Magniber ransomware.
Discovered in 2017, Magniber uses the Magnitude exploit kit. The latest version of Magnitude, found in July 2021, has been expanded to include new vulnerabilities including PrintNightmare. Its latest campaigns target South Korean victims through malicious ad campaigns via Internet Explorer.
DEMO VIDEO: BlackBerry vs. Magniber Ransomware
BlackBerry Cyber Suite and BlackBerry Guard stop these attacks.
BlackBerry customers can feel confident that our AI-driven BlackBerry® Cyber Suite, as well as our Managed Detection & Response (MDR) solution BlackBerry® Guard, are all well-equipped to mitigate the risks posed by threat actors such as those behind Magniber ransomware:
- BlackBerry® Protect provides automated malware prevention, application and script control, memory protection, and device policy enforcement.
- BlackBerry® Optics extends the threat prevention by using artificial intelligence (AI) to prevent security incidents. It provides true AI incident prevention, root cause analysis, smart threat hunting, and automated detection and response capabilities.
- The BlackBerry® Mobile Threat Defense (MTD) solution prevents and detects advanced malicious threats at the device and application levels. It combines the mobile endpoint management capabilities of BlackBerry® Unified Endpoint Manager (UEM) with advanced AI-driven threat protection, to get in front of malicious cyberattacks in a Zero Trust environment.
- BlackBerry® Persona creates trust based on behavior analytics, app usage, and network and process invocation patterns. It uses adaptive risk scoring to provide continuous authentication.
- BlackBerry Guard customers are proactively protected from Magniber ransomware attacks. Our 24/7 MDR solution customers receive:
- Alerts monitored in real-time
- Corrective policies applied while discovering gaps in policy implementation
- Prioritized threat hunting
- The latest threat intelligence for fast-moving threats
At BlackBerry, we take a prevention-first and AI-driven approach to cybersecurity. Putting prevention first neutralizes malware before the exploitation stage of the kill-chain.
By stopping malware at this stage, BlackBerry® solutions help organizations increase their resilience. It also helps reduce infrastructure complexity and streamline security management to ensure your business, people, and endpoints are secure.
The BlackBerry Incident Response team can work with organizations of any size and across any vertical, to evaluate and enhance their endpoint security posture and proactively maintain the security, integrity, and resilience of their network infrastructure.
For emergency assistance, please email us at DLIR@blackberry.com, or use our handraiser form.
Learn more about the latest cybersecurity threats and threat actors in the BlackBerry 2021 Annual Threat Report.