BlackBerry Prevents: xLoader Infostealer
xLoader is an information-stealing malware targeting both macOS® and Windows®. Previously sold on underground forums under the name Formbook, xLoader surfaced in early 2020 shortly after Formbook was shut down by its author.
xLoader is sold under a malware-as-a-service (MaaS) agreement. Subscribers have access to the administrative panel and executable builds for both Windows and macOS. The authors of xLoader retain full control of command-and-control (C2) infrastructure and malware builds for each target environment.
DEMO VIDEO: BlackBerry vs. XLoader Infostealer
BlackBerry Cyber Suite and BlackBerry Guard stop these attacks.
BlackBerry customers can feel confident that our AI-driven BlackBerry® Cyber Suite, as well as our Managed Detection & Response (MDR) solution BlackBerry® Guard, are well-equipped to mitigate the risks posed by threat actors:
- BlackBerry® Protect provides automated malware prevention, application and script control, memory protection, and device policy enforcement.
- BlackBerry® Optics extends the threat prevention by using artificial intelligence (AI) to prevent security incidents. It provides true AI incident prevention, root cause analysis, smart threat hunting, and automated detection and response capabilities.
- BlackBerry recommends activating the following BlackBerry Optics rules to provide additional telemetry from an xLoader malware attack:
- The BlackBerry® Mobile Threat Defense (MTD) solution prevents and detects advanced malicious threats at the device and application levels. It combines the mobile endpoint management capabilities of BlackBerry® Unified Endpoint Manager (UEM) with advanced AI-driven threat protection, to get in front of malicious cyberattacks in a Zero Trust environment.
- BlackBerry® Persona creates trust based on behavior analytics, app usage, and network and process invocation patterns. It uses adaptive risk scoring to provide continuous authentication.
- BlackBerry Guard customers are proactively protected from xLoader malware attacks. Our 24/7 MDR solution customers receive:
- Alerts monitored in real-time
- Corrective policies applied while discovering gaps in policy implementation
- Prioritized threat hunting
- The latest threat intelligence for fast-moving threats
At BlackBerry, we take a prevention-first and AI-driven approach to cybersecurity. Putting prevention first neutralizes malware before the exploitation stage of the kill-chain.
By stopping malware at this stage, BlackBerry® solutions help organizations increase their resilience. It also helps to reduce infrastructure complexity and streamline security management, ensuring your business, people and endpoints are secure.
The BlackBerry Incident Response team can work with organizations of any size and across any vertical, to evaluate and enhance their endpoint security posture and proactively maintain the security, integrity, and resilience of their network infrastructure.
For emergency assistance, please email us at DLIR@blackberry.com, or use our handraiser form.