ROI in Cybersecurity: Forrester Consulting TEI Analysis Reveals Endpoint Security Solution CylancePROTECT Delivered Net Savings of $1.2M
When you are evaluating cybersecurity solutions, you want to know several things, including how effective it is — and if it reduces the burden on your team. But your CFO will likely ask about something else: “What is the ROI to justify this spend on an AI powered endpoint solution?”
Now you can build a business case to answer that question, so you can speak with confidence about ROI in cybersecurity.
Forrester Consulting Determines Potential ROI of CylancePROTECT
BlackBerry commissioned Forrester Consulting to conduct a Total Economic Impact™ (TEI) Study about the cost savings and benefits associated with implementing the CylancePROTECT® endpoint security solution. The TEI methodology has been used for more than two decades by technology consumers and technology organizations. It consists of four components to evaluate investment value: cost, benefits, flexibility, and risk. Forrester stands behind this time-tested methodology as “a proven industry-standard framework that models all aspects of a piece of technology or solution and the associated impacts on the business, (illustrating) the ROI of products and services.”
CylancePROTECT TEI Results
In the case of CylancePROTECT, the BlackBerry® AI-driven endpoint protection platform (EPP), the independent analysis revealed a significant return on investment (ROI). For a composite organization representative of interviewed customers, this includes a three-year net savings of more than $1.2 million and recovery of nearly 2,000 staff hours — time that was previously lost to manual detection and response.
The Forrester study uncovered these results by conducting online research with 351 cybersecurity leaders at global enterprises based in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, and Australia.1 Forrester then interviewed staff at four companies that have deployed CylancePROTECT, modeled a composite organization, and determined the solution’s potential financial impact over three years. Additional key findings are included below.
Overall Financial Benefits
The study’s primary goal was to determine the potential economic impact of CylancePROTECT. For the composite organization modeled in the study, Forrester concluded that the AI-based endpoint security solution delivered payback on the initial investment in less than six months, and offered the following financial benefits over a three-year period:
- More than a $1.2 million reduction in the overall cost of security breaches
- More than an $800,000 reduction in subscription costs for decommissioned legacy endpoint software
- Recovery of more than 8,000 staff hours due to eliminating traditional antivirus updates
- Time savings of nearly 2,000 hours from investigating security Incidents and re-imaging infected devices
Key Decision-Maker Security Challenges
Before implementing enterprise-wide endpoint security, the interviewees who participated in the study reported that their organizations relied on many different — and frequently uncoordinated — solutions that often failed to prevent breaches. The greatest challenges they faced with these legacy systems include:
- Inability to prevent breaches with existing endpoint protection solutions
- Difficulty maintaining signature-based protection
- Inconsistent solutions across different operating units
- Inability to protect all installed assets with a single solution
Advantages of AI-Based Endpoint Solutions
Interviewees were confident that AI-based endpoint protection would deliver superior detection compared to signature-based solutions. During the study, a technical consultant in the manufacturing industry remarked, “We wanted to go in the direction of an algorithm and not a pattern so that machines would not be connected to the internet and have to pull any updates. Years of experience with [antivirus] products have shown that whenever there are updates, you can run into errors.”
Additional advantages uncovered in the research further support the decision to implement an AI-based solution. These include:
- The ability to manage security efficiently across the growing variety of devices and operating systems, including personal devices and USB drives
- CylancePROTECT supports many device types and operating systems, including legacy systems, enabling organizations to simplify their security environments by eliminating overlapping tools.
- Increasing employee satisfaction and awareness of cybersecurity. After implementing CylancePROTECT alongside an accompanying training program, an organization increased cybersecurity ratings on employee surveys by 25 points. Employees felt more assured that their devices were protected.
Read the full study
to learn more about the findings and the Total Economic Impact™ of CylancePROTECT. Your CFO will thank you, and so will your security team.
For similar articles and news delivered straight to your inbox, subscribe to the BlackBerry Blog.
1Source: Forrester Consulting Cost Of A Cybersecurity Breach Survey, Q1 2021.